Sarson Ka Saag, mustard greens with spinach is a healthy and easy to prepare dish. Sarson ka saag is a all time favorite punjabi dish. Traditionally this is served with maki ki rote (maize flat bread) and gur (unrefined cane sugar).
- 4 cups packed mustard leaves chopped (sarson)
- 4 cups packed spinach leaves chopped (palak)
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely shredded
- 2 green chili chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup corn flour (maki ka atta, maize)
- 4 tablespoons ghee/ clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons ghee/ clarified butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
Step 1. Mix corn flour with ½ cup of water and keep aside.
Step 2. In a heavy bottom pan boil the mustard, and spinach leaves, 4 tablespoons ghee/ clarified butter, salt, turmeric, ginger and green chili with one cup of water over medium high heat.
Step 3. After greens come to boil cover the pan and turn heat down to medium. Cook for approximately 30 minutes; stir 3-4 times in between. Greens should be well cook and mushy; they will become about 1/3 in volume.
Step 4. Add corn flour mixture and mix it well and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir 3-4 times in between. Saag should be cook well all the ingredients nicely integrated together.
Step 5. For seasoning heat the ghee/ clarified butter in small pan, ghee should be moderately hot. Add cumin seeds they should crack right a way. Add asafetida and red chilies stir for few second and add to the saag. Mix it well.
Step 6.Sarson ka saag is ready. Serve hot with maki ki roti, naan or Thandoori Roti.