Tomato soup is a soup made with tomatoes as the primary ingredient. It may be served hot or cold in a bowl and may be made in a variety of ways. Tomato soup is a perfect appetizer for the main course meal.
Duration: 45 mins
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut into small pieces to make about 4 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small pieces to make about 1/3 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 celery stick, cut into small pieces to make about 1/3 cup of chopped celery
- 1/2” ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoons of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
Step 1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Lightly brown the ginger. Add carrots and celery. Stir fry two minutes.
Step 2. Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are mushy.
Step 3. Let the tomatoes cool, then puree in a blender.
Step 4. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seed and asafetida. As the cumin seeds crack, add cilantro and stir for a minute.
Step 5. Add the tomato puree and approx. 1¼ cup of water (adjust the water to your taste).
Step 6. When the soup boils, turn the heat to low and let it simmer three to four minutes.