So long as you do not achieve social liberty, whatever freedom is provided by the law is of no avail to you.
जब तक आप सामाजिक स्वतंत्रता नहीं हांसिल कर लेते , क़ानून आपको जो भी स्वतंत्रता देता है वो आपके किसी काम की नहीं
By Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar
Amazing facts about Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar
- 7. Ambedkar fought for three years to get the comprehensive Hindu Code Bill passed which gave several important rights to women.
Ambedkar resigned from his post of the first law minister of India when the comprehensive Hindu Code Bill was dropped by the Indian parliament. The bill had two main purposes – first, to elevate the social status of Hindu women by giving them their due rights and second, to abrogate social disparities and caste inequalities.
Some of the key features of this bill were:
- Women could now inherit family property, permitting divorce and adoption of girls
- The code gave both men and women the right to divorce if the marriage was untenable.
- Widows and divorcees were given the right to remarry.
- Polygamy was outlawed
- Intercaste marriage and adoption of children of any caste would be permitted.
Information gathers from “The Better India”